Have you suffered investment losses in Behringer Harvard Opportunity REIT I? If so, the securities attorneys of The White Law Group may be able to help you recover your losses by filing a FINRA Dispute Resolution claim against the brokerage firm that sold you the investment.
The trouble with non traded REITS, like Behringer Harvard, is that they are complex and inherently risky products. According to Behringer Harvard’s quarterly 10-K filing, some of the risk factors included:
- market and economic challenges experienced by the U.S. economy or real estate industry as a whole and the local economic conditions in the markets in which our properties are located;
- the availability of cash flow from operating activities for distributions and capital expenditures;
- a decrease in the level of participation under our distribution reinvestment plan;
- our level of debt and the terms and limitations imposed on us by our debt agreements;
- the need to invest additional equity in connection with debt refinancings as a result of reduced asset values and requirements to reduce overall leverage;
- future increases in interest rates;
- our ability to raise capital in the future by issuing additional equity or debt securities, selling our assets or otherwise;
Broker dealers are required to inform clients of the risks associated with investment recommendations and to ensure that those recommendations are suitable for the investor in light of the investor’s age, risk tolerance, net worth, and investment experience. Firms that fail to do so, may be held responsible for any losses.
Lack of liquidity is often problematic for many investors. Investors looking to sell often have difficulty finding a buyer, and can suffer significant losses on the sale. According to LPsales.com, a secondary market for private placements, shares of Behringer Harvard recently sold for $2.12 per unit in September 2015. This represents a significant loss for many investors.
To determine whether you may be able to recover investment losses incurred as a result of your purchase of Behringer Harvard Opportunity REIT I, please contact The White Law Group at (312) 238-9650 for a free consultation.
The White Law Group is a national securities fraud, securities arbitration, and investor protection law firm with offices in Chicago, Illinois and Vero Beach, Florida. For more information on the firm, visit www.WhiteSecuritiesLaw.com.