Worst Performing ETFs – Exchange Traded Funds – 2018
According to a recent article in Investment News, these are the 10 worst performing ETFs in 2018.
“Most are considered trading vehicles and employ such strategies as double or triple leverage or the use of short positions, which is underscored by some contrasting 2017 returns,” according to Investment News.
- ProShares Short VIX Short-Term Futures (SVXY)
2018: -91.75% vs. 2017: 181.84%
- Direxion Daily Natural Gas Related Bull 3X (GASL)
2018: -79.8% vs. 2017: -43.7%
- Velocity Shares 3X Inverse Natural Gas (DGAZ)
2018: -78.49 vs. 2017: 81.52%
- Direxion Daily S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Product (GUSH)
2018: -74.28% vs. 2017: -40.21%
- Direxion Daily Homebuilders & Supplies Bull 3X (NAIL)
2018: -73.96% vs. 2017: 268.73%
- ProShares UltraPro 3X Crude Oil (OILU)
2018: -63.82% vs. 2017 from March inception: 50.4%
- Velocity Shares 3X Long Crude Oil (UWT)
2018: -63.69% vs. 2017: -11.4%
- UBS ETRACS – ProShares Daily 3X Long Crude (WTIU)
2018: -63.5% vs. 2017 -8%
- Direxion Daily CSI China Internet Index Bull 2X (CWEB)
2018: -63.01% vs. 2017: 165.86%
- United States 3X Oil (USOU)
2018: -62.8% vs. 2017 from July inception: 76.8%
Are Exchange Traded Funds Suitable for you?
Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) can be extremely complex and risky. They are only suitable for wealthy, sophisticated retail investors or institutional investors.
Brokerage firms that sell such products are required to perform adequate due diligence on the investments to ensure a reasonable likelihood of success, and to evaluate whether the investments are suitable in light of the client’s age, net worth, investment experience, and investment objectives.
Firms that fail to perform adequate due diligence, or that make unsuitable recommendations, can be held responsible for losses in a FINRA arbitration claim.
If you suffered losses investing in an exchange traded fund (ETF) and would like a free consultation with a securities attorney, please call The White Law Group at (888)637-5510.
The White Law Group is a national securities arbitration, securities fraud, and investor protection law firm with offices in Chicago, Illinois and Vero Beach, Florida.
For more information on The White Law Group, visit https://www.whitesecuritieslaw.com.